Hi, Welcome to CanInnovate! The 1st ever podcast focused purely on Canadian Innovation.
This podcast is designed to highlight and showcase Canadian Innovation. Canada produces some of the brightest minds. Why am I doing this? What has me all fired up & passionate about this? A few things (Episode 0 goes into deeper details).
When I moved back to Canada, after being abroad for many years. I reached out to one of my mentors to catch up and to see what was happening across the ecosystem, and I was surprised to hear that my biggest mentors say … that there was NO Canadian Innovation. My mission and vision is to prove my mentor wrong!
Well… I started to do some research & found that there are many amazing Canadian innovations, but was being seen globally as American. With the uncertainty with Brexit and other political factors, Canada is looking shiny and bright to partner with. I have some friends overseas that were looking to partner with a Canadian firm, but was unable to identify them as Canadian companies. Some Canadians were not even sure which companies were Canadian innovative companies, then how do we support Canadian businesses?
So, my thesis is to prove my mentor wrong & any others that have this perception. That we do have Canadian Innovation…. WE CAN INNOVATE EH! I truly believe that education & awareness is instrumental in overcoming any obstacles & perception challenges both globally and locally in Canada.
So…. who is with me? You, me, and a cup of coffee each week
Hit subscribe & share your thoughts or nominate a Canadian Innovator. As we explore the Canadian landscape & toot the horn for all Canadian Innovators.
I’m really looking forward to starting this journey with you. Chat soon!
- E27: Exploring the learning potential of the brain with Learning Pirate’s Owner and Founder, Lauren Waldman (4/25/2018) Posted in: All -
Where the science of learning and the whimsical meet
Lauren is a CTDP (Certified Training and Development Professional), has certification in the Fundamentals of Neuroscience (Harvard), is currently working on a certificate in Medical Neuroscience (Duke), is a Designated Communication Coach and Trainer, and is an advisory board member of the NCCA (National Communication Coaching Association of Canada).
She taps into the science, and fun of learning while maintaining a sharp approach with an intense dedication to the success of others. Her current focus in the studies of neuroscience and how …
- E26: Talking about the importance of Supply Chain with fellow podcaster, Sarah Barnes-Humphrey, CITP, CCI (4/18/2018) Posted in: All -
Sarah stands at the forefront of international trade with expertise in the global logistics industry, working with the private sector to build, develop and increase efficiencies in their supply chains. She has spent the past 20 years working in logistics and supply chain, most recently as Director of Sales and Marketing for ICECORP Logistics Inc, a privately owned 3PL.
Throughout her 20-year tenure in Supply Chain, Sarah has gained a reputation for her passion in helping employees and clients learn about increasing efficiencies and building cost-effective supply chains including international …
- E25: Design your own Masterchef experience in your own kitchen, Gil Eiges, Co-founder of Manjya (4/11/2018) Posted in: All -
A Personal Chef is not just for the rich and famous
Gil Eiges was born in Jerusalem, Israel. He has lived in four countries around the world. After graduating from the London School of Economics, he started his career as a management consultant and worked at Amdocs leading various large business and marketing teams. Gil co-founded Manjya along with business partner Mia Andrews, which is an online bidding marketplace that connects chefs with individuals and businesses who need catering either at home or for large and small …
- E24: Empowering people to host, artists to earn & tour, and fans to enjoy the shows with Laura Simpson, Co-founder and CEO of Side Door Access (4/4/2018) Posted in: All -
Micro-Gigs. Everywhere. All the time.
Laura Simpson is one of the Co-founders and CEO of Side Door. She is a living large, DNA music pumping through her veins, music industry professional. She lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She also founded The Syrup Factory, which began hosting house concerts in 2011, offering strategies and services to artists in 2015. She's also been an organizer in the art scene since she was 14 years old going to all ages shows and then eventually taking live music photography and freelancing. She …
- E23: Becoming a beacon for rich educational and cultural experiences in French, is Groupe Media TFO’s CEO, Glenn O’Farrell. (3/28/2018) Posted in: All -
A public catalyst in offering promising solutions for the Francophonie.
GLENN O'FARRELL, ICD.D, is a digital-innovation-driving CEO in the Canadian media industry. Glenn doesn’t think inside or outside – he thinks without a box. Glenn uses the power of new technology, creative partnerships, and international reach to transform traditional media into relevant, influential, high-traffic global platforms. He instinctively embraces the power and value of diversity. He consistently challenges the status quo to improve and grow outcomes for stakeholders.
A native …
- E22: Launching a crowdfunding source that utilizes the strength of blockchain with Co-Founders, Sam Kawtharani and Derek Manuge of Corl. (3/21/2018) Posted in: All -
True growth begins when interests of entrepreneurs and investors are aligned!
Sam Kawtharani spent Over 10 years in product development, strategy, and marketplace lending. Previous Head of Product at IOU Financial (Startup to IPO, TSX:IOU). Contributed to $500+ million in small business originations. Current Advisor at Lend Mart and Fundica. Member of the Product Beta Committee at Founders Beta. Holds a master’s degree in Quality Systems Engineering from Concordia University.
Derek Manuge was formally educated as a mathematician but have an active interest in a broad …
- E21: Reintroducing the Spark of Meaningful Class Discussions with Bobby McDonald of Parlay. (3/14/2018) Posted in: All -
Bobby McDonald is born and raised in Stouffville, Ontario. He spent four years studying at McGill University, worked in finance and software sales before starting Parlay full time in early 2017.
Parlay is an education technology tool with a simple goal. It is to reintroduce discussions into the classroom in a modern 21st century way. This helps teachers encourage students to have meaningful, measurable and inclusive discussions.
Parlay was conceptualized when Bobby and a close friend were looking around. Bobby was studying …
- E20: Protecting & Securing your Privacy around the Blockchain World with Laila Paszti of GTC Law Group (3/6/2018) Posted in: All -
Laila Paszti is an attorney in GTC’s Mergers & Acquisitions, Business & Technology Transactions and Privacy groups. She focuses on mergers and acquisitions, licensing and other technology-related transactions, with an emphasis on software code audits and big data platform diligence. She also advises clients on privacy and security compliance and cross-border transfers of data. Prior to joining GTC, Laila was a member of the IP, Technology, Food & Drug Regulatory, and Payment & Cards practice groups at Torys LLP. Before law school, she held positions as a software …
- E19: Taking the Lead in buying and selling in the Agricultural Trade is Alain Goubau, Co, Founder, COO and CFO of Farmlead. (2/28/2018) Posted in: All -
Reinventing the phone call and how grain marketing is done.
Alain Goubau who is the Co-founder and COO and CFO of FarmLead an online grain marketplace were farmers and grain buyers can buy and sell any type of green. Alain, also has extensive project management and operations experience as a field engineer throughout Europe and Asia and as a co-founder at Alta Arrows, energy's a telecom infrastructure startup based in Boston. He's also previously worked with Mckinsey and company in the agribusiness team and of …
- E18: Shedding light on the Cannabis Industry is Steven Looi, Director of Origination and Strategy for White Sheep Corp. (2/20/2018) Posted in: All -
Steven Looi is a serial entrepreneur with experience in IT, urban agriculture, and retail. A flexible and adaptable operator with extensive industry network and product expertise. He has a track record of deploying his creativity and innovation in disruptive industries. Steven has created new companies in both Canada and China, ranging from a video game, art outsourcing, to soil-less food production, to pharmacy patient management systems. He has worked security for a hip-hop group, The Roots, received a Parliamentary Award for his urban farm, and is a Provincial shot-put champion. Outside the …
- E17: Empathy… Understanding it at the heart of every communication with Chris McKillop, CEO and Co-Founder of Turalt (2/12/2018) Posted in: All -
We are really honored today to have Dr. Chris Mckillop. She really knows her stuff and as a pioneer in her field. She earned her degree in artificial intelligence in the 1990's. She have an MSc in human centered computer systems, a PhD in educational technology and she, of course, have researched and published tons of articles on emotional dimensions of learning. She has a long record of pioneering technological innovations to improve learning. Chris is really passionate about artificial intelligence, empathy and how it can help improve people's lives. She incorporated her …
- E16: Earn Our Fav Loyalty Rewards to Make the Healthy Choices Stick! With CEO, Andreas Souvaliotis (2/6/2018) Posted in: Motivation, Technology -
Andreas Souvaliotis who was the founder of the world's first eco rewards program and more recently the world's first public wellness rewards initiative in partnership with the government of Canada called carrot rewards, has been recognized globally for his achievements in influencing and rewarding behaviour changes on a mass scale. Andreas is a prominent Canadian leader and an advocate for Canadian & innovative approaches to social change particularly around the areas of public health promotion climate change awareness and citizenship.
Carrot Rewards actually gives you rewards based on one your …
- E15: Turning Water into Gold Innovation with Zac Young, COO of H2nanO (1/30/2018) Posted in: Technology -
Zac Young is a Co-Founder and COO of H2nanO, providing next generation water treatment solutions for hard-to-treat contaminants. He is a Loran Scholar, former team member of nanotechnology start-ups Nicoya Lifesciences and Alchemy, and Nanotechnology Engineering graduate from the University of Waterloo.
This is an extra special episode, as one of our listeners, Sylvie Spraakman nominated H2nanO as Canadian Innovator that is changing the game! Thank you Sylvie!
"Figure out what your company really stands for and stands to …
- E14: Turning Vision boards into financial reality with Rona Birenbaum, Co-founder of Viviplan (1/23/2018) Posted in: Motivation, Technology -
Rona Birenbaum, co-founder of Viviplan and the winner for the 2017 DMZ BMO FinTech Accelerator. She is also the founder of Caring for Clients, one of Canada’s first fee for service financial planning firms. She is also recognized as a wealth professional woman of influence in 2017. A financial columnist for the Medico Post.
Viviplan offers technology to help speed up the financial planning for every stage in life, from early career to early mid-life to pre-retirement, retirement …
- E13: SomaDetect is the innovation that makes the impossible possible with Bethany Deshpande, CEO (1/17/2018) Posted in: All -
Bethany Deshpande is the CEO of Soma Detect. She is a scientist turned entrepreneur who is providing dairy farmers with information that they need in order to produce the best milk.
She is from New Brunswick which have a great startup communities. It is very interesting how she end up becoming the CEO of one of the promising startups in agriculture when she didn’t grew in a farm and knew nothing about agriculture. She also mentioned that her father played an important role in the creation of the company and how her conversations …
- Can we expect the unexpected in 2018? Predictions of industry trends with Wayne Ingram, Country Managing Director of Slalom Consulting Canada (1/9/2018) Posted in: All -
Wayne Ingram is the Country Managing Director for Slalom Consulting in Canada (www.slalom.com). He is also a member of Slalom’s 10 person Global Executive Board to drive an ambitious growth agenda for this 3600+ person team. He is initially tasked with building a Canadian team, starting with the Toronto practice. Prior to taking the reins to launch Slalom in Canada, Wayne held several Canadian, North American, and Global Managing Director roles at Accenture. Wayne has close to 30 years …
- E11: Innovator, Inventor, Entrepreneur, Creator… huh? (1/2/2018) Posted in: All - This episode explores the different dimensions and definitions of commonly used industry terms - entrepreneur, innovator, inventor and creativity. Is there a difference? What is the difference? How do they fit and tie into together? Can you be an innovator and not be an entrepreneur? Are all entrepreneurs innovators? How can we apply innovation and creativity to our normal everyday lives? Our jobs? Our careers? Our dreams? Take the 2018 challenge! How are you going to innovate your 2018? How are …
- E10: Gamification and sprouting our money cycles with Matt Hernandez, Founder of Save with Sprout (12/26/2017) Posted in: Design, Motivation -
Matt Hernandez, founder of Sprout Financial talks about how Canadian household debts has been consistently increasing and how millennials are missing the key financial literacy. Save with Sprout combines gamification to help consumers manage their money cycles.
Matt is an avid traveler, and has back packed through most of Asia and have a goal of hitting every continent. He even taught English in South Korea for 3 years. Matt is a former accredited Financial Advisor and have been in the Financial Industry for 5+ yrs and now is bringing Sprout Financial to live.
- E09: What Worked, What Didn’t and What’s Next! (12/14/2017) Posted in: All - As 2017 is coming to an end, I wanted to reflect on my journey so far. It’s been an interesting adventure. I know, I only launched the podcast in Oct 2017, but there are a lot of lessons that I wanted to share. Both professionally and personally. 2017 was a big year for me as I made some massive changes. The bigger surprise was around my own personal development.In this episode, E09 -
- I wanted to share the 2017 adventures
- My own surprising personal …
- E08: Going for the Gold with Anthony Lacavera (12/5/2017) Posted in: Design, Motivation - Anthony Lacavera discusses his new book, 'How We Can Win’. He discusses how the technological change is about to disrupt a Canadian economy and outlines what Canada needs to do as a country to WIN! It’s an enlightening discussion that definitely makes us all pause and think! Anthony shares his findings of how Canadians need to get ready to embrace the change and what we can do to be ready for the future. His book ‘How We Can Win’ provides great insights of how Canada can really start to go for the …
- E07: Reshaping & redefining the online meat industry with Marc Lafleur, CEO of TruLocal (11/28/2017) Posted in: All, Design, Motivation, Technology -
Marc Lafleur, the CEO of TruLocal. Marc is a University of Waterloo graduate looking to explore how different technologies and innovations can be applied to help build businesses throughout different industries. TruLocal is an Ontario based company that redefining the online meat industry with delivering organic (Hormone Free, Antibiotic Free) and locally sourced meat right to your door step! They offer a range of different meat products (www.trulocal.ca)
Marc & I chat about meat industry. I also discover on the podcast, that he’s …
- E06: Rob Catalano, Co-Founder of WorkTango is giving employees a voice and employers actionable insights (11/22/2017) Posted in: Design, Technology -
Rob Catalano is passionate about helping companies succeed by leveraging technology to make employees successful. With his unique experience in HR Technology as a founding employee at Achievers, Rob co-founded WorkTango – a software platform that helps give employees a voice and companies actionable insight. He has recently been named as a 2017 Top Global Employee Engagement Influencer, has had the privilege of speaking in over 30 cities the past three years, and loves the opportunity to connect with passionate business and HR leaders across the globe. He is an …
- E05: Eliminates food waste & helps feed the hungry.. A winning formula with Ben Walters, CEO & Co-Founder of the Feedback App (11/14/2017) Posted in: All, Design, Motivation, Technology - "It's a shame that beautiful things go to waste" Ben Walters, CEO & Co-Founder of the Feedback App.Ben Walters, the CEO & Co-Founders of Feedback App. Ben graduated from McGill University and worked four years primarily in the US in management consulting. Ben was doing well from a financial perspective, but he felt like he was missing something. He eventually developed the concept Feedback with his cousin & co-founder, Josh. The Feedback App is helping restaurants minimize billions of dollars in restaurant food waste. Consumers can buy food …
- Ep4: Planswell, the Real Money Plant with CMO, Michael Wickware (11/8/2017) Posted in: Design, Technology - Michael Wickware is the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of Planswell. Michael actually started his career as a financial advisor in the 1990s. Then In 2001, he founded a marketing and advertising agency, which had a big hand in building some of the top North American brands in banking, investing and insurance. In 2016, he sold that agency to co-found Planswell, which he describes as simply the best financial planning company in the world.In this episode, Michael will share with us:
- How we can make our money work …
- Ep3: Turning Lemons into Coffee with Ray Kanani’s Coffee’s On Me (11/1/2017) Posted in: All -
Ray Kanani is a serial entrepreneur based in Toronto, Canada. His first startup, SMART Pics, scaled to half a million in revenue within 3 years being used at the Oscars, Coachella and Sundance. He currently spends his time leading the UX division at K2 Digital and building Coffee's On Me, a solution designed to help others say thank you.
Ray Kanani will be sharing:
- Some insights as a serial entrepreneur
- How the heart beats the Ego every time &
- How he managed to turn lemons into Coffee's on …
- Ep 02: Elastic Thinking’s Anti-Consulting principles, is changing the way we do business (8/30/2017) Posted in: All, Design, Motivation, Technology -
Yves Le Goff & Jake Philips, co-founded Elastic Thinking. Both have extensive experience in the big corporate technology industry, along with extensive experience in the start-up world. They are now focusing on helping Small -Medium businesses gain a competitive advantage with their CTO as a service and the start-up packages. They are disrupting the typical consulting models.
Elastic Thinking will be sharing:
- How CTO as a service is enabling Small-Medium sized businesses to become disruptive
- How they are lowering the barrier to entry for new start-up companies …
- Podcast Episode 01: Privacy, the foundation of your freedom featuring Dr. Ann Cavoukian (8/30/2017) Posted in: Design, Motivation -
Dr. Ann Cavoukian is recognized as one of the world's leading privacy experts. She has consulted with Facebook, the European Union and many other on privacy concerns. She is currently the Distinguished Expert-in-Residence, leading the Privacy by Design Centre of Excellence at Ryerson University. Her Privacy by Design framework is now the International Standard and has been translated into 39 languages. Dr. Ann Cavoukian has won numerous awards such as Top 25 Women of Influence in Canada Top 10 Women in Data Security & Privacy, Power 50 by Canadian Business, Top 100 …
- Podcast Episode 0: We CAN Innovate, eh! (8/30/2017) Posted in: All, Design, Motivation, Technology -
Episode 0, provides an overview of what inspired me to start this podcast. What pushed my buttons? What got me all fired up?
This is a 4 minute audio.. short and sweet that will also get you passionate about supporting our Canadian Innovators.
I would love to hear your thoughts & comments. More importantly, if you know someone that is great and that should …